Thursday, June 9, 2011

Wind, Waves and Word! 9 Days: Countdown from Malmo to Idaho

 

“A temptation arises: it is the wind. It disturbs you: it is the surging of the seas. This is the time to awaken Christ and let Him remind you of these words, 'Who can this be? Even the wind and the waves obey him.'”

 

Yesterday was one of those Walt Whitman days, when it doesn't matter what is in view--the sky, the trees, the grass--or what can be heard--a new songbird, the absence of the cries of seagulls--it all opens up.  Suddenly the normal senses seem dull compared to the heightened awareness of the mind's eye, ears like an arctic fox to 100 feet below the earth's surface, the slightest breeze across silken hairs like the pressure of thunder, or the slightest hint of nutmeg.

 

It's Aladin's lamp, Shrek's onion, Gran Telescopio Canarias  looking at stars light years away, the pearl of great price.  I am not sure what makes this happen for you, but for me it is doing a literary word study in The Bible.  

 

Yesterday it was what in the world do the Word of God, seeds, and the sea have in common with Jesus' disciples asking, "Who is this?  Even the wind and waves obey him" (Mark 4:41).  Chapter 4 of Mark is a series of parables ending with the story of Jesus calming the sea.  I wanted to discover why the parables and this story were strung together.  (There's a great YouTube video of a lego retelling of this story--I loved it!)


We can talk about it, if you like, but I've got to tell you that most of the fun is in finding out for oneself. I used word searches in BibleGateway.com, when I couldn't find the passages that came to mind.  Of course, the search found so many more.


I came away from this study feeling like I was on fire.  It was better than falling in love.


This feeling of being on fire has carried over into today--into a meeting at school, lunch with a friend, a trip to the Malmo Library with my son and his friend, and halfway into the movie, "Into the Wild" (don't tell me, I haven't seen the rest, yet).  

 

Unfortunately, it has not given me the jet power to get packing.   



No comments: