Friday, June 3, 2011

Love Locks! Day 16: Countdown from Malmo to Idaho

Some days are too boring to describe.  Forgive me if I have been guilty of boring you in the past...but today was one such day.  It was full of all that dailiness.  It ended with a nice get-together, then, of course, piles of dishes. 

When I was already in bed, I remembered my countdown.  Maybe I should have count down by weeks, instead...


On Malmo's Western Harbor (I've been referring to it in Swedish--Vastra Hamnen), there is a cement and metal jetty (not sure what they call it) hanging out over the sound.  It is a thrill to walk to the end of it, because it feels like one will certainly fall into the water.  This is especially true on a windy, white-cap day.  But it is really quite sturdy with heavy metal sides. 

The Sunset and the jetty at Malmo's Western Harbor

One day I was watching the sunset with Phil's brother when he visited.  I saw some Middle Eastern men go out onto that jetty and watched two women photograph them.  At one point, one woman pocketed her camera and said to the men in English, "Do you know why those locks are there?"

Looking toward the Oresund Bridge from the jetty.
Now, I had noticed some padlocks clipped to the metal grates on that jetty and could not imagine why they were there or why the beach officials didn't have them cut off.  So, at the prompting of the woman's question I felt myself straining to hear the answer over the wind.

Maybe you already know the story, but when the four of them came our direction, I asked the woman to tell me the story of the locks.  She told me there are places in the world, usually over large bodies of water, where lovers clip a padlock to the rails and throw the key into the water as a sign of a love that is never to be broken.  She said there are places, like Hong Kong, where there are so may padlocks clipped to the rail that the structure is nearly crushed by the weight of them.

She turned to one of the Middle Eastern men and said, "We are going to do that, here, when we are married, aren't we?

Here's to unbroken love, to the unfathomable depths of commitment, to throwing away the key!

2 comments:

Helena said...

I loved the story about the padlocks - haven't heard it before. Though, when we moved there (right after the exhibition) we named it "the titanic bridge", and I believe it's still called that among many Västra hamnen citizens. It was fairly close after the film Titanic where Leonardo di Caprio and Kate Winslet is standing in the bow of the boat with water spraying from the ocean and John Williams music playing in the background.

As you know I love the storms and been there many falls since then.
/Helena

julofalltrades said...

The jutty is called the Titanic, then. I've never heard anyone refer to it, but then, I'm not usually there when anyone else is! Thanks, Helena!