Friday, April 1, 2011

Poem 1, April 1, 2011

Today is the beginning of poetry month. It has been more than a year since I have attempted to write a poem. In honor of this month, I vow to stare at the white page, after immersing my senses in the world around me, and write a new poem for each day in April. To pump my poetic muscles back into shape.

If you decide to do the same, please post in the comments with a link or your whole poem. It is easy to find "poetry prompts" in Google to help get you started. What started me today were the trees in Pildamsparken in Malmo on the edge of my son's school yard. The first line came to mind before I realized it's reference to this day.

Without further ado:


#1. 01/04/11
Even the trees felt fooled in
an earlier spring, leaves open,
as trust, into the arms of late
frosts and cutting winds. This
year, no fooling, naked beech
stand sentinel, no green peeks
behind the chilly curtain of April
waiting until school children thrill
to skipping, running; flinging behind
their coats into a warming wind.

No comments: