Saturday, April 16, 2011

Church Work Day April 16


“I was glad when they said unto me, ‘Let us go into the house of the LORD’” (Psalm 122:1).

I will go to the house
Of the Lord.   There,
I will sing His praises.

On another day, I will
Join the choir of those
Who take up paint brushes,
Vacuum cleaners, drills,
Tools, and cleaning supplies
Maintaining walls, windows,

Doors and floors.   I will
Pace marble, Tile and brick
In search of dried gum,
Baby spit, cake frosting
And candle wax, then
Scrape and clean the surface.

This, I will do on my watch,
Bending to my knees, praying
For those who will seek
The Lord where He may be
Found, in rooms where His
Name is spoken in different

Languages. Appalled 
By the scent of petrified
Peppermint and the curdled
Milk of crying babies removed
From the solemnities,
I realize the build-up

In my soul, vices ignored
Before fellow Believers
And enemies . . .  Search
Me, O Lord.  See if there
Is any stickiness in me,
And, if you are willing,

Scrape me clean. Inhabit
The ready house in my heart.



      * * * * * * * *

1 comment:

original trish said...

Oh house of the Lord
Welcoming all who seek thee
joyous forgiveness,

Juliene...love the poem and it inspired this Haiku. I love and miss you. Trish